Anderson, James (3), Dd
Anderson, James (3), D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1802. His academical training was received in Warren County, O., and he graduated at the Washington College, Pa., in 1826. His first year in theological study was under the Rev. John Anderson, D.D., and his second year was spent in the Western Theological Seminary. He was licensed to preach in 1828, and travelled and labored as a financial agent for the seminary, and also for a time as a missionary for the American Tract Society in Ohio, Virginia, and Kentucky. In 1831 he settled as pastor of the churches of Rushville and New Baltimore, Fairfield Co., O. In the fall of 1850 the Presbytery of Zanesville elected Mr. Anderson as principal of the Miller Academy at Washington, Guernsey Co. In 1852 he resigned this position, and removed to Utica, where he became the stated supply of the churches of Mount Pleasant and Bladensburg. In 1854 Mr. Anderson removed to Lexington, O., serving the Church there. Next he went to the Belleville, Bloomfield, and Ontario churches, serving them for a brief time. In 1864 Mr. Anderson closed his labors in Ohio, and removed to Iowa, made himself a home, organized the West Union and Bethel churches, and resuscitated the South Wales Church. He died Jan. 21, 1871, at Stelapolis, Ia. See Presbyterian, Feb. 11 and June 3, 1871.