Anderson, Abraham, Dd
Anderson, Abraham, D.D.
an Associate minister, was born near Newville, Cumberland Co., Pa., Dec. 7, 1789. He served as a soldier in the war of 1812-13, and on his return in the latter year he entered Jefferson College, where he studied four years, and graduated in 1817. He then began the study of theology, first under the direction of Dr. John Anderson for five months, then under the general direction of the presbytery for three years, at the same time pursuing a medical course under Dr. Letherman. In 1818 he was chosen professor of languages in Jefferson College, and retained the position until 1821. In October of that year he was licensed, and, after itinerating about two months in Pennsylvania and Ohio, he was sent by the synod into the Southern States, where he was soon settled as pastor at Steele Creek and Bethany, N.C. In 1831 he came North on account of his health, and preached at Hebron, N. Y., for some time; but returning to Carolina in 1832, he found himself in an embarrassing position on account of the slavery agitation then going on, and was accordingly settled as pastor at Hebron in the summer of 1833. In 1847 he was elected professor in the theological seminary of the Associate Church at Canonsburg, Pa., and professor extraordinary of Hebrew in Jefferson College, which positions, in connection with the collegiate charge of the congregation at Miller's Run, he held until the close of life. He died May 9, 1855. He published a few pamphlets. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, IX, 3, 107. Anderson, Alexander, A.M., a minister of the Free Church of Scotland, was converted in 1850. He lived five years after; and they were five years of such holy zeal, such heavenly piety, such earnest love for Christ, that, young as he was when taken from the world, he has left a trail of light in the Church militant through which he passed to heaven. See Christian Observer, March, 1859.