Aldrich, Henry was born at Westminster, 1647, and studied at Christ Church, Oxford. He was celebrated for the zeal and ability which he displayed as a controversialist against the Romish writers of his time. After the Revolution he was made dean of Christ Church, Oxford (1689), and was presented to the living of Wem, in Shropshire. He was a great lover of church music, and has left twenty anthems; he was also the author of the well-known glee, "Hark, the bonny Christ Church Bells." Himself a sound and accomplished scholar, he endeavored by every means in his power to foster the love of classical learning among the students of his college, and presented them annually with an edition of some Greek classic, which he printed for this special purpose. He also published a system of logic for their use, and at his death bequeathed to his college his valuable classical library. Dr. Aldrich was a proficient in more than one of the arts: three sides of what is called Peckwater Quadrangle, in Christ Church College, and the church and campanile of All Saints in High Street, Oxford, were designed by him; and he is also said to have furnished the plan, or at least to have had a share in the design of the chapel of Trinity College, Oxford. He died Dec. 14, 1710. Among his writings are,
1. A Reply to two Discourses [by Abr. Woodhead] concerning the Adoration of our Blessed Savior in the Holy Eucharist (1687) —
2. A Defence of the Oxford Reply (1688): —
3. Artis Logicae Compendium (1691, and often reprinted); it is still in use at Oxford as a manual for beginners. — English Cyclopoedia, s.v.; New Gen. Dict. 1, 142.