Adey, John an English Congregational minister, was born at Painswick, Gloucestershire, May 15, 1793. He served the Lord from childhood. As a young man Mr. Adey was engaged in business at Winslow, Bucks; but during his leisure; hours devoted himself to evangelistic labors in the neighboring villages. Being especially struck with the spiritual destitution of Great Horwood, he resigned his business and gave his best efforts to the building-up of Christianity in the place. After a time he removed to Cranbrook, Kent; and thence to Ramsgate. While at Ramsgate Mr. Adey often preached in London. In Southwark, for twenty-two years, he was " in labors most abundant." Hundreds were converted, and many young men were led into the ministry. In 1858 Mr. Adey removed to Bexley Heath, Kent; in 1868 he retired from the stated ministry; and on Dec. 4,1869, he was struck with paralysis, and, after twelve days, entered into rest. Mr. Adey was widely known as a preacher to the young, to sailors, and-to the working classes; to all of whom he was exceedingly useful. See (Lond.) Cong. Year-book, 1871, p. 300.