Florida a diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States coextensive with the state of the same name. It was organized in 1838. The first bishop was Francis Huger Rutledge, D.D., a native of South Carolina, consecrated in 1851; died at Tallahassee November 4, 1866. He was succeeded by John Freeman Young, consecrated July 25, 1867. From 1862 to 1865 Florida belonged to the "General Council of the Confederate States of America." In 1890 the diocese counted 54 clergymen, 21 parishes, and 3438 communicants.