of Lu 24:13. The Sinaitic MS. here reads, one hundred and sixty furlongs, which has been eagerly seized upon as confirming the identification with Nicopolis; but Tischendorf in his last edition of the MS. does not adopt the reading, and the distance as stated by Josephus (War,
7:6, 6) confirms the number sixty. Lieut. Conder is inclined to fix the site of this Emmaus at Khurbet el-Khamasa, eight miles from Jerusalem towards Beit-Jibrin, containing ruins of an ancient church (Memoirs to the Ordnance Survey, 3:36).
A full description of the interesting remains at Amwas (the Emmaus of 1 Macc. 3:40) is given in the Memoirs accompanying the Ordnance Survey (iii, 63 sq.). Emmerich, Anna Katharina, a German visionary, was born at Flansk (duchy of Munster), September 8, 1774. In 1802 she joined the Augustinians of Dulmen. She had visions when quite young, and in 1798 declared that she had seen Jesus Christ placing on her forehead a crown of thorns. On the suppression of her convent she retired to, a private house, where she became subject to new visions, during which she claimed to have received the stigmata of the crucifixion, and a crossmark on her chest. The facts were investigated in 1813 by a physician and an ecclesiastical commission, who seem to have been convinced of their reality, and recorded them, in 1814, in a journal of Salzburg. She died February 9, 1824. See Hoefer, Nouv. Biog. Generale, s.v.