Augian Manuscript (CODEX AUGIENSIS), a Creek and Latin MS. of the epistles of Paul, supposed to have been written in the latter half of the ninth century, and so called from Augia major, the name of a monastery at Rheinau, to which it belonged. After passing through several hands, it was, in 1718, purchased by Dr. Bentley for 250 Dutch florins, and it is now in the library of Trinity College, Cambridge. This noted MS, F, is contained on 136 leaves of good vellum, 4to (the signatures proving that 7 more are lost), 9 inches by 73, with the two languages in parallel columns of 28 lines on each page, the Greek being always inside, the Latin next the edge of the book. It is neatly written in uncial letters, and without accents; not continua serie, as is common with more ancient copies, but with intervals between the words, and a dot at the end of each. The Greek text is very valuable. The Latin is a pure form of the Vulgate, but in the style of character usually called the Anglo-Saxon, whence it is tolerably clear that it must have been written in the west of Europe, where that formation of letters was in general use between the seventh and twelfth centuries. The first sheets, containing Ro 1:1-3,19, are wholly absent; in four passages (1Co 3:8-16; 1Co 6:7-14; Col 2:1-8; Phm 1:21-25), the Greek column is empty, although the Latin is given; in the epistle to the Hebrews, the Latin occupies both columns, the Greek being absent. Tischendorf examined it in 1842, and Tregelles in 1845. Scrivener published an edition of this Codex in common type (Lond. 1859, 8vo), with prolegomena and a photograph of one page. — Tregelles, in Home's Introd. 4, 197, 255; Scrivener, Introd. p. 133 sq. SEE MANUSCRIPTS.