Armitage, John an English, Independent minister, was born at Chester in 1788.. He was educated with a view to commercial pursuits, apprenticed at Liverpool, and converted when sixteen years of age. About 1808 he went to reside in London, but did not unite with the Church until 1815. In 1816 he removed to Newport, Monmouthshire, and soon afterwards began to preach in different places as he had opportunity. In 1822 he, with others, established in Newport a Seaman's Society; and afterwards succeeded in obtaining the erection of the Mariner's Church. He was also engaged in the establishment and working- of the Religious Tract Society, and was an active supporter of the British and Foreign Bible Society and other institutions of a similar character. In 1831 he gave up business, and retired to the village of Bassaleg. Here, through his efforts, a chapel was obtained. a Church was formed, and a Sunday-school was established; and in 1833 he was ordained pastor of the Church which he had thus gathered. In the following year he became pastor of the Independent Church at Homrningsham, Wilts; and having served it a little more than three years he returned to the business which he had forsaken. In 1842 he again retired from commercial pursuits and took up his abode at Carleton; and while resident here he commenced raising a congregation at Pillgwenlly, near Newport, and succeeded in providing a chapel and forming a Church, which he soon handed, over to a suitable successor. In 1845 he entered upon the pastorate of the Independent Church at Oakhill, Somerset, where he remained till his death, Oct. 9,1848. Mr..Armitage was pious, amiable, and in the discharge of all life's duties, prompt and conscientious. See the (Lond.) Evangelical Magazine, 1850, p. 567.