Antigua a British West India island, of the Leeward group, which in 1848 had a population of 36,190 souls. It is the see of a bishop of the Church of England, whose diocese comprises, beyond Antigua, the British islands of St. Christopher's (population in 1848 23,127), — Nevis (population in 1851 10,200), Barbuda (population 600), Montserrat (population in 1850 7800), Dominica (population in 1842 18,291), Tortola (population in 1844 6689), Anguilla (population in 1844 2934), and the Danish islands St. Croix (population in 1850 23,720) and St. Thomas (population 13,666). ' The diocese had, in 1859, twenty-seven clergymen in the British islands (including two archdeacons) and three in the Danish islands. See Clergy List for 1860 (Lond. 1860, 8vo). SEE AMERICA.