Antaradus (Α᾿ντάραδος, Ptol. 5, 15, § 16; Hierocles, p. 716), a city of Phoenicia, situated on the mainland opposite the island of Aradus (whence its name), which latter is alone referred to in Scripture (Ge 10:18; Ge 1
Chronicles 1:16). SEE ARVAD. According to the Antonine Itinerary and the Peutinger Tables, it was 24 Roman miles from Balanea and 50 from Tripolis (Reland, Paloest. p. 216, 318). It was rebuilt, A.D. 346, by the Emperor Constantius, who named it Constantia after himself (Cedren. Hist. p. 246), but it appears under its old name likewise in the subsequent Church councils. During the Crusades it was a populous and well fortified town (William of Tyre, 7:15), and was known as Tortosa (Tasso, Gerusal. lib. 1:6; Wilken, Kreuzz. 1, 253; 2:200; 7:340, 713). It is now a mean village of 241 taxable Moslems and 44 Greeks (Biblioth. Sacra, 1848, p. 247). The walls, of heavy bevelled stones, are still remaining (Miarnot, Mem. sur. les Phen. in the Acad. des Belles Lettres, 34, 239, Edrisi, p. 129, 130, ed. Jaubert).