Andrews, St, See and University of
Andrew's, St., See and University of county of Fife, Scotland. The legendary story is that Regulus, a Greek monk of Patrae, in Achaia, warned by a vision, carried with him in a ship the relics of St. Andrew. After long storms the ship was wrecked near the place where the city of St. Andrew's now stands; Regulus and his company escaped, and brought the relics safe to shore. This was in the time of Hergustus, king of the Picts (about the year 370), who erected a church there, afterward called the church of St. Regulus, or St. Rule's church, the ruins of which still remain. Kenneth, 3d king of the Scots († 994), transferred the see of Abernethy to this city, and orjdered it to be called the church of St. Andrew, and the bishop thereof was styled Maximus Scotorum Episcopus." The present incumbent of "St. Andrew's, Dunkeld, and Dumblane," is Charles Wordsworth, D.D., consecrated in 1852. The University, the oldest in Scotland, was founded by Bishop Wardlaw in 1410. It consists of the United College of St. Salvador, founded by Bishop Kennedy in 1456, and St. Leonard, founded in 1512; and St. Mary's College, founded by Beaton in 1537. The education in the latter is exclusively theological. The number of chairs in the colleges which constitute the university is 14, and the attend. ance of late years has been rather less than 200. Here, in the center of the papal jurisdiction in Scotland, the Reformation first made its appearance; Scotland's proto- martyr, Patrick Hamilton, suffered here in 1527, and George Wishart in 1546, and here John Knox first opened his lips as a preacher of the Reformed faith. — Chambers, Encyclopedia; Landon, Eccl. Dict. 1, 358.