Andrews, John (1)
Andrews, John (1), a clergyman of the Church of England, came from that country with the Rev. Richard Clarke in 1753. He had been educated at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford; had been ordained deacon by the bishop of Gloucester, Dec. 3, 1750, and priest by the bishop of Oxford, Dec. 24, 1752. In 1753 he was assistant minister of St. Philip's Church, Charleston, S. C., which he resigned Nov. 9, 1756, to return to England. After this he was appointed minister at Stinchcombe, in Gloucester, and afterwards was vicar of Marden, in Kent. In 1763 he published the Scripture Doctrine of Grace, an answer to a treatise on the same subject by the bishop of Gloucester. A volume of his Sermons was published after his death. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 5, 140.