Andrea Pisano a distinguished Italian sculptor and architect, was born at Pisa in 1270, and studied under Nicola and Giovanni Pisano. Andrea was employed at the Duomo of Pisa as one of the assistants, under Giovanni, and after this he was employed to execute some small figures in marble for the Church of Santa Maria al Ponte at Pisa. His success in these works led to his being invited to Florence to assist in completing the facade of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore. He executed two marble statues of St. Peter and St. Paul, which were placed in the facade. As an architect, he designed the Castle of Scarferia, the Arsenal at Venice, and the Church of San Giovanni. He died in 1345.