Amharic Version

Amharic Version The earliest attempt to translate portions of Scripture into Amharic were made by Romish missionaries; but the date cannot be ascertained, since the MSS. have never been seen in Europe. An Amharic version of the entire Scriptures, which has superseded all others, was commenced about 1810 by M. Asselin de Cherville, French consul at Cairo. Providence directed him to an old man named Abu Rumi, a person well qualified for the work. After ten years' labor this work was completed, and sold to the British and Foreign Bible Society for £1250. The MS. was brought to England by the Rev. Mr. Jowett. In 1824 the gospels were carried through the press by Dr. Lee, Mr. Jowett, and Mr. J. P. Platt, and in 1829 the entire New Testament was completed. In 1840 the Old Testament was published, and in 1842 an edition of the whole Scriptures. In superintending the printing of these editions, Mr. Platt carefully compared Abu Rumi's edition with the original Greek and Hebrew, and inserted such corrections as seemed indispensably requisite, leaving a more complete revision for a future opportunity. Since 1875 there exists a revised edition of the Amharic Bible; the version having been made by the Rev. Dr. Krapf, aided by some young natives, for the British and Foreign Bible Society. For linguistic purposes, comp. Massaja, Lectiones Grammaticales pro Missionariis qui Addiscere volunt Linguam Amaricam, etc. (Parisiis, 1867). SEE AMHARIC LANGUAGE. (B. P.)

 
Topical Outlines Nave's Bible Topics International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Online King James Bible King James Dictionary
 

Scripture linking and popups powered by VerseClick™.