Aegidius (JOHN of St. Giles), an English Dominican, was born at St. Albans. Educated at Paris, he became a distinguished medical practitioner in that city, and was employed (in 1198) by king Philip. He removed to Montpellier, where he studied diseases of the mind. Returning to Paris, he studied divinity, and soon became a doctor in that faculty, and a professor in the schools. In 1223 he joined the Dominicans, being the first Englishman of that order. In 1235 he went to Oxford, where he became lecturer in arts and divinity. A close intimacy sprang up between him and Grossetete, bishop of Lincoln, who obtained leave of the general of the order that AEgidius might reside with him as an assistant. While he was physician of Philip II he amassed great wealth, which he employed for the purchase and repairs of the Hospital of St. Jacques at Paris-a branch of St. James of Compostella in Spain, and destined to lodge the pilgrims. He gave it in 1218 to the Dominicans. He died about 1253. He wrote some works on medicine and theology which were never published. See Hoefer, Nouv. Biog. Generale, s.v.