Addison, Walter Dulany
Addison, Walter Dulany, a clergyman of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was born in Annapolis, Md., Jan. 1, 1769. In 1784 he was sent to England to complete his education, and was placed in charge of the Rev. John James, who kept a select school near London. Thence: he was removed to a large academy near Greenwich, and in 1787 to Epsom, under the tuition of the curate, Rev. Joseph Golding, and there he was converted. Three years after, he went to London and studied under Dr. Barrow for six months, when he embarked with. his brother John for America. On attaining his majority, he came into possession of nearly four thousand acres of land, twenty-five slaves and other property, near Annapolis, Md. In 1793 he removed to Oxon' Hill, a part of his estate. For several years he had been studying for the ministry, and about this time he was ordained deacon, and took charge of Queen Ann's Parish in Prince George Co., where he remained two years.
In 1796 he was appointed on the Standing Committee. After his resignation of Queen Ann's Parish he frequently officiated in the churches contiguous to his residence until 1803, when he became rector of St. John's Parish, within which his estate was located. This position he held until 1809. Meanwhile (in 1804) he had commenced teaching a school at his residence on Oxon Hill. The following year he removed to Hard Park, where he continued to teach until 1809, when he removed to Georgetown, D. C., and taught school there in connection with his brother John, and also served the church in that place. He continued in charge of St. John's Church until his increasing infirmities compelled him to resign it. In 1818 he became entirely blind. In 1830 he left Georgetown and went to Washington, D. C., where he .remained until 1847, after which time he resided in Baltimore. He died there Jan. 31,1848. Mr. Addison was a man of great firmness of character, and it was largely through his influence that various fashionable amusements, such as balls, card-playing, etc., were interdicted in the diocese. His liberality was conspicuous both in his intercourse with other denominations and in the use of his wealth. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, v. 403.:
a four-armed deity of the Banians.